Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday, March 11th

The apostle Paul must have been a gutsy poker player.


Why else would he write in his letter to the Philippians “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ . . .” (Phil. 7-8).

In poker parlance, Paul was “all in.”

He bet his entire stack of chips in the hopes of winning one important hand – to know Christ and to live a life pleasing to him.

The desire for wealth, power, earthly adornments and even the admiration of others had been squelched by his profound experience of the living Christ on the road to Damascus.

He was willing to lay a wager that changed his life – and the lives of countless others. In fact, his hand-scrawled letters are still changing lives today.

He risked everything in his pursuit of being Christ’s ambassador – in chains, no less (Ephesians 6:20).

Am I willing to go all in?

Ed Klodt

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not know how to leave a comment, please select "comment as" and then either "Name/URL" and type your name and webpage (if you don't have a webpage you can leave "URL" blank). Or you can select "annonymous" if you would like to omit your name. Once you do that you can type your comment in the box. Thanks.