Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday, March 1st

“Accepting the reality of our broken, flawed lives is the beginning of spirituality not because the spiritual life will remove our flaws but because we let go of seeking perfection and, instead, seek God, the one who is present in the tangledness of our lives. Spirituality is not about being fixed; it is about God's being present in the mess of our unfixedness.” (Mike Yaconelli, Messy Spirituality)

I love this quote because it reminds us that God isn’t looking for perfect people. Instead, He is looking for open hearts. He is looking for people who are willing to make a little room in their lives for Him. It is why the spiritual life can truly be called the “Lazarus” life because “Lazarus” is a good Hebrew name that means “one whom God helps.”

I think it was author Ann La Mott who said that she really has just two prayers when it all comes down to it. The first prayer is “Help me, help me, help me, Lord. Amen.” The second is “Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lord. Amen.”

Help me, help me, help me, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not know how to leave a comment, please select "comment as" and then either "Name/URL" and type your name and webpage (if you don't have a webpage you can leave "URL" blank). Or you can select "annonymous" if you would like to omit your name. Once you do that you can type your comment in the box. Thanks.