Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesday, February 24th

I’ve lost over 100 pounds, nearly half of it recently. When people ask me how I did it, I could say I started running, I went (mostly) vegetarian, I count calories, I chew sugar-free gum at night in front of the television when I’d rather snack. All of these answers are correct, but they’re not entirely true.


The truth is I didn’t do it. I gave it to God. He did it. No matter how hard I tried, how diligent I was, how much I wanted it, I simply could not do it on my own.

When people ask me how long it took, I could say I lost about 45 pounds in about 7 months. Correct, not entirely true. It took me 23 years. Years of gaining and losing and losing and gaining and failing and trying again.

That’s a long time to struggle and wonder and wait. A long way to accept that my Savior will carry this burden along with every other. And part of my journey toward knowing God loves me without condition, and that He will direct my ways when I seek to follow Him.

This is my path. I’m not saying everyone should be a runner…or a vegetarian…or a gum-chewer…or any certain weight. I just know God wants us to be free…and joyful…and truly ourselves…and, most of all, His.

And God’s timing is perfect.

Lord, help us know “they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” {Isaiah 40:31}

Jennifer Shaw

1 comment:

  1. I love this article!! I agree that God's timing has a purpose. He may not always be on our "schedule" but He knows what plan is best. Once we sincerely put our burdens in His hands, He will show us the path. I think once we admit that we can't do whatever it is that we are struggling with alone, He will set us on the right path at a good pace. It is up to us to follow in order to be free.

    ReplyDelete

If you do not know how to leave a comment, please select "comment as" and then either "Name/URL" and type your name and webpage (if you don't have a webpage you can leave "URL" blank). Or you can select "annonymous" if you would like to omit your name. Once you do that you can type your comment in the box. Thanks.