Friday, May 29, 2009

Off to France

Written by Chamie

In a few short hours, we will be catching the train to France, so with last minute packing and the hopes of getting at least a little sleep, our words will be short. We have had such an amazing, grace-filled, full and wide journey thus far... and our heads are spinning a bit with all there is to process. So we are looking forward to the quiet simplicity of the monastic community of Taize... and though our car and train trips have been "lovely" and "brilliant" (say these in a British accent for full effect), we are sooo looking forward to not getting in a motorized vehicle for six days straight while in Taize. So... all that said... you MIGHT hear from us in the next two days if our hotel in Paris has a computer we can use. However, after that we will be completely unplugged - NO electronics whatsoever - while in Taize from Monday, June 1 through Sunday, June 7. We will update the blog on our return to England and our Cambridge-area "home-base" on Monday, June 8th. Until then, you can know that Tim continues to be up to silliness and tricks. When I said that I was missing my sunglasses that I left at home in the U.S., Tim suggested that I go into the store and ask for some "wobbly-goggles." He said this in all seriousness. I looked at him and said, "Excuse me?" He repeated himself, "You know, wobbly-goggles - that's what they call sunglasses in England." You would think after ten years of marriage, that I would know he is tricking me, but I stared at him dumbfounded, wondering if that's what I really was supposed to say. Then he burst out laughing. Fortunately, I didn't embarrass myself. But we've had our humbling moments trying to "fit in" to British life - I did learn for instance, that the British do not roam from their hotel room in Durham down to the pool in their swimsuit - only swanky Americans do such parading. Just not polite. Oops. So pray that we don't do anything too offensive in France - and that Tim behaves himself as best he can! Oh, and that his French floods back to him!

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious. I laughed out loud when I read about wobbly goggles. I'm still laughing and love it. It's great to read about your travels, your thoughts and intereactions with each other. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete

If you do not know how to leave a comment, please select "comment as" and then either "Name/URL" and type your name and webpage (if you don't have a webpage you can leave "URL" blank). Or you can select "annonymous" if you would like to omit your name. Once you do that you can type your comment in the box. Thanks.